According to the numbers released this week by FreightWatch International, the number of cargo thefts spanning from December 2012 through to February 2013 dropped by 20%.
Not only that, but the average value per load stolen dropped 39% to $133,711 from September to November. Here’s some more stats from the article found on ccjdigital.com.
– The most common loads to be stolen were food and drink cargo followed by electronics
– Top 5 states for cargo theft: Florida, Texas, Georgia, California and New Jersey
– Unsecured parking accounted for 61% of thefts and facility thefts made up for 9% thefts
– Trailer thefts and deceptive pickups accounted for the majority of cargo stolen
– Violent thefts i.e. hijacking rates were low